RIVER MUSI – HYDERABAD (Part-1)
By C. Sarvotham Rao
River Musi is a part of the legend and folklore of Hyderabad – the city, located on the southern bank of the river; it was founded in 1951 A.D. by the Golconda King, Sultan Quli Qutub Shah. From late 18th century, the city expanded across the river to the northern bank; thus the river divides the city into two parts.
1.0 River Musi, originates, from Anantagiri Hills and descends, on to the plains, near a Village, Shivareddy Pet, (about 100 kms to the north west of the city). It flows through the city. Flowing in a southeastern direction and joins, river Krishna, after a journey of about 190 kms, at Wadepally.
1.1 For more than 300 years (1591-1920), this river supplied potable drinking water and all the domestic and irrigation needs of the people. On the southern river bank, there were long lengths of wall, watch Towers, gardens, magnificent palaces, public and private buildings including a civil hospital. All these were built during the 16th and 17th century.
This perennial river, a gentle stream, most of the year, was a raging torrent during the rainy season, For many days the river would be in space, when fllod water overflowed the banks. There have been 12 recorded major floods, the first being in 1613 A.D. The floodsof 1831 A.D. caused great damage to public life and property. The Chaderghat Bridge under construction was damaged. Nothing much was done by the State government to save the city and the public from such high floods.
The floods in 1903 however, were very severe, when extensive damage was caused to hundreds of public buildings and private houses. The Nizam VI (Mahboob Ali Khan) issued orders, not to repair the damaged buildings and prohibited construction of all lnew buildings, on either bank of the river. This was done to avoid any future loss and damage to the people. (contd…2)