Barkas is yet another rich colony situated south of Hyderabad of Arabic speaking businessmen. With fruit vendors, gulf money and mosques, this area full of thick forest in the beginning of 17th century is today flushed with dinars, dirhams. Most of the residents in the locality have pucca RCC buildings, electronic household gadgets and other phirangi appliances. During 1724- 1948, it became a focal point for the Nizam’s dynastic rule. It was in 1812 Nizam felt the need to modernize his army which comprised of Moghul army, irregular troops, regular army, the French Corps, Russel Brigade, Maisram army, etc. in April 1887, Jamait Nizam Mahboob raised a regiment called Maisram Regiment and moved to Maisram, a hilly locality where the Army had its barracks. It is because of these barracks the place adjacent it Maisram is called Barkas. There are 15 mosques, a CRPF Group Centre, CRPF, Kendriya Vidyala, Bagh Sharfuddin, etc. Worth mentioning in this locality.
The area around the Ashoor Khana became famous as Hussain Alam. Raza Ali Khan, the Dewan of Hyderabad in 1670 was given the title Nekh-Nam-Khan. After his death, a village named Nekh-Nam-Khampally has now became famous as Nampally.
Moazzam Jahi Market, one of the largest markets of retail trade in fresh fruits and vegetables till recently, was named after Nawab Jah Bahadur, the son of Mir Osman Ali Khan Nizam-VII and the President of the city improvement Board. The market building which completed its construction in 1953 was inaugurated by Mir Osman Ali Khan Nizam-VII. The other big wholesale market for vegetables is Mir Alam Munadi, which was christened after Nawab Mir Alam, Prime Minister of Sikander Jah Bahadur Nizam- III. (Contd…Part-10)